Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:07:21 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handling of symlinks to directory in pkg_delete [patch for review]

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 10:40:42AM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
# Hi!
#
# I wonder if anybody noticed that handling of symlinks in pkg_delete is somewhat
# broken. Particularly, the problems exist with symlinks to a directories. The
# pkg_delete code considers those symlinks as a directories (if the referred
# directory exists), however they are not, and thus tries to delete it using
# rmdir(2), which obviously doesn't work. The workaround exists to delete
# directory symlink points to first and only then remove corresponding symlinks,
# however it looks like an ugly hack (see lesstif's PLIST for example). The
# attached patch is expected to solve this problem. Also in this message I'm
# attaching small fake package, which exposes the bug (it consist of one symlink
# and one directory this symlink points to).

[patch elided]

Looks good to me.  You might want to fix the style(9) in the new
issymlink function.  It would also be nice if along with this change
you hunted down and fixed all the PLISTs that have rmdir hacks that
are no longer required.  I can test some of them for you if want.
Better yet you could probably just submit patches to Satoshi and let
the new package building cluster test your changes for you.

-steve