Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 22:36:27 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Steven Alexander <steve@cell2000.net>, Steve Hill <sjhill@cotw.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating a system to boot 4 different OS types.

Sergey Babkin wrote:

> Steven Alexander wrote:
> >
> > I've had problems getting Windows NT to boot using bootloaders from other
> > OSes.  I'd suggest installing NT last and putting it on the first partition.
>
> The partition number does not really matter, what really matters is
> that Windows wants to be in the very first tracks of the disk. This
> is legacy left from DOS which always had the same mania.

While this may have once been true, I don't believe it holds for modern
versions of Windows.  That is, at least for Win98 and Win2000.
Whether the kluge known as Windows NT (4) still has that requirement I
don't know.  In any event, unless you have a specific requirement to use
the old Windows NT4, I'd wouldn't touch it with the proverbial 10-foot pole.
I'd use Windows 2000 instead if I needed "NT" compatibility.

> NT (as well as 95/98) silently overwrites the master boot record.

Quite true, so be prepared to restore it.  I was surprised, however,
when an install of the final release of Windows 2000 did NOT overwrite
my master boot record (MBR).  After the install I still had LILO in the
MBR, so I could still boot FreeBSD and Linux...

Gary