Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:30:01 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   trouble with PostgreSQL 9.2 on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT: superuser can not autheticate anymore with md5 password hash set

--Sig_/swA_4qKEDaL5ZLXHRBuq13B

For the past I ran PostgreSQL 9.2 servers on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
successfully. But by now, out of the blue, login as the database's
supervisor "pgsql" remotely isn't possible any more.

The appropriate lines in pg_hba.conf are:

local   all  pgsql md5
hostssl all  pgsql 0.0.0.0/0   md5

The funny thing is: when login locally without providing a password
(swap md5 to trust in the "local" line) and setting the password for
the role "pgsql" via

ALTER ROLE pgsql ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'FooMe";

or doing the same via pgadmin3 from remotely by also swapping md5 to
trust in the line "hostssl" for global network, it seems I could
alter/change the password for the supervisor pgsql. But restoring the
password check by setting back "md5" leaves me locked out!

By the way, this strange behaviour occurs on ALL(!) PostgreSQL 9.2
servers running on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT boxes.

Ports databases/postgresql-XXX as well as FreeBSD is as of the latest
sources and up to date.

What is going wrong?

Please CC me.

Regards,