Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:01:45 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

In message <199906172041.AA211062112@broccoli.graphics.cornell.edu>, you wrote:

>>No, it just means that the thing now takes frequent breaks... to recover
>>for its various and sundry kernel crashes which (for the reasons I have
>>explained) I am not able to debug at the moment.
>
>My guess is you have either a hardware problem or one of you
>enemies has figured out a way to crash your system.

I am 100% convinced that it is *neither*.

The problem only arises when the IMRSS scanner program is running full
blast, at its maximum rate.

I suspect that perhaps I don't have the kernel configured for a deep
enough interrupt stack or something like that.  (The system sometimes
has to handle in the neighborhood of 4K response packets coming back
almost simultaneously.)

>>P.S.  *Somebody* needs to be cataloging all of these *&^%$#@ spam spewing
>>unsecured mail relays...  like for instance the 120 of them that IMRSS
>>has located at Cornell.
>
>Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone at Cornell who has asked you to
>audit our systems for us.

This is not really a proper forum for discussing the ins-and-outs or the
rationale of the IMRSS Project, however I must respond anyway, so as not
to leave any doubts.

You are correct, sir, that no one at Cornell asked us to check for open mail
relays at Cornell.  But I would counter with these two points:

     o	No one at Cornell asked the spammers to do this either, but
	that doesn't seem to have slowed THEM down any.  (We do have
	on file some spam that was relayed thru open mail servers at
	Cornell.)

     o	Despite the fact that you did not ask for our help in securing
	your network against mail relay hijacking, the available evidence
	indicates that you _do_ in fact need our help, as you have something
	like 120 unsecured mail servers at Cornell.

>>(Some other group has been scanning for, and publishing data about smurf
>>amplifiers for some time now.
>
>If we're thinking about the same group, they don't probe systems without
>being asked to.

We must be thinking of different groups then.

The folks I am thinking of _are_ searching out smurf amplifiers, whereever
they may be.  These things are a danger to society, at least when they are
connected to the public Internet.  Likewise in the case of unsecured mail
servers.  Running these things is like leaving a loaded gun on your patio
while small children play nearby.  There is no good excuse for it.

>>The IMRSS project is just doing the same
>>stuff in the case of "spam amplifiers".  But I digress.)
>
>Except we didn't ask for your "help".

Well, if it is any consolation, we aren't charging you for it.

The IMRSS Project provides data on open mail relays to responsible network
administrators at no charge.  (We should really be charging for this service,
but we are selflessly dedicated to the goal of the total eradication of E-mail
spam.)