Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dale de los reyes <ddlreyes@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Problem - Panic Error

Hello,

My name is Dale and I am trying to install v2.2.5 onto a Micropolis 9gb
harddrive. This is my second scsi drive. My first scsi drive has Win95
installed on it. The CDs are from Walnut Creek CD-ROM.

The error I am getting is:

panic: ufs_lock: recursive lock not expected, pid: 1

I encountered this error after I chose the distribution packages, and the
installation program was just about to prepare the freebsd partition.
Also, I tried installing it before and made mistakes. However, the FreeBSD
boot manager was already in place during my latest attempt.

What I am trying to do:
Boot Manager = Boot Easy

Drive 1: HP SCSI
   C: Win95 primary
   D: Win95 extended
   E: Win95 extended

Drive 2: MICROPOLIS SCSI
   F: Win95 extended
      Linux
      FreeBSD

During the Boot Manager Installation I chose the following options:
Boot Mgr for sd0? install
Boot Mgr for sd1? standard

What usually causes this type of error?

I suspect my hard drive is at fault, but don't know of other tests
to confirm. When I tried installing OS/2, the fdisk (os/2) reported a
problem with the MBR for drive 2. As best I can recall, the message:
fdisk unable to detect MBR.

What other information do you require?

Thanks,
Dale