Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:27:39 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web p

As Amancio wrote:

> Slackware left me with the impression that it was too slanted to
> hackers and for the life of me I can't figure out why people
> prefer linux to Freebsd -- it seems that Freebsd will be easier
> on newbies.

I think Slackware's reputation ain't the best in this respect.  So
don't draw conclusions from a not-so-good Linux distribution, but have
a look at the better ones, and compare.

Jordan recently sent me Pacific Hitech's ``TurboLinux'' in order to
evaluate their installer.  It looks really pretty, compared to ours,
and a lot more consistent (which is no surprise if you know about the
odds and ends of libdialog sitting beneath our sysinstall).  However,
it was too less tested on legacy hardware before as it seems, so it
was basically totally uninstallable on my scratchbox for a number of
reasons.  The worst reason was that the installer silently assumes
that all the world's a VGA that can display 80x30, while my box has
only an old Hercules card -- so i couldn't see a good part of the
menues. :(

--
cheers, J"org