Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:35:33 GMT
From:      Paul <eb30750@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   amd64/163285: when installing gnome2-lite not all dependent packages are installed

>Number:         163285
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       when installing gnome2-lite not all dependent packages are installed
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD BRSINC-VM02.local 9.0-RC3 FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 #0: Sun Dec  4 08:56:36 UTC 2011     root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

When upgrading I delete all packages then upgrade followed by installing one pacakage; pkg_add gnome2-lite -r.  This installs many dependent packages but it does not install xorg nor gdm.  This has been the case since 7.1 and it was again when I upgraded from 8.2 to 9.0-RC3 earlier this week.

I do not use FreeBSD on a regular basis though I would like too.  Therefore, at each update I am a little rusty in getting my system back to where it was before the upgrade.  This time I did remember that it was necessary install pkg_add xorg -r but the first time around I forgot about gdm.  Thus my system would not launch gnome.  Maybe all the dependencies for gnome2 works but not for gnome2-lite.

If all the dependencies worked as they should then upgrading is a six step process to restore the new OS and desktop with no time required to debug.

pkg_delete -a
freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.0-RC3
freebsd-update install
pkg_add gnome2-lite -r
shutdown -r now
freebsd-update install

>From there I do add some other packages such as Firefox, etc.  It was also necessary to manually install portsupgrade as well.
>How-To-Repeat:
Every upgrade that I have performed since 7.1