Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 02:53:46 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Richard Tetley <richard@tetley.demon.co.uk>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD installation at Lichfield Cathedral, England

> In addition there are 2 - DOS-based tills for the Cathedral bookshop
> whose daily files we want to send to the bookshop server over the
> network. Putting Windows 95 on the tills would I suppose be feasible,
> but I bet there is a way of transferring files directly via the server
> without Windows!

So you are looking for a possibility to establish a TCP/IP-network with
plain DOS?
There are two candidates: both from Microsoft and (astonishing) both
freely available.

MS-client from ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/WG1049.EXE
LAN-Manager from ftp.microsoft.com/BusSys/Clients/LANMAN/
You will find MS-client also on the CD of NT-Server in the
client-directory.

Your NIC must have NDIS2 drivers (every old ne2000-compatible NIC will
work out of the box, some others are also included but I don't remember
which ones).
This is enough to establish SMB-connects (Windows-Networking, for
FreeBSD you will have to install the Samba-package).
If you want to use "normal" internet-services like telnet, ftp, or www ,
you must add a DOS-packet-driver, for example
DISPKT9 from ftp.cabletron.com/pub/unsupported/dispkt9.zip

Hope this helps
Siegbert