Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 19:01:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Subject:   Re: advice sought - Quantum 2GB Atlas broken

(Moved to -scsi.)

As Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Coming back from a short holiday I powered on a P90 machine with
> (among other IDE disks) a Quantum 2GB ATLAS XP32150 and the SCSI disks
> saluted with a continous one second interval clicking noise.

Didn't we (Jordan?) warn you about the XP drives back in those days?
:-}

> Does anyone have experience with drive electronics swapping?

Be careful regarding the warranty.  While you could do operations of
this kind during the law-enforced 6 month warranty here in Germany,
any additional volunteerely warranty is at the mercy of the conditions
of whoever grants it.

> I suspect that the electronics stores some bad block info in some kind
> of nvram on the controller board but not sure about this.

Most likely, they are stored on the disk itself.  I have successfully
swapped drive electronics in the past.  That's been on IDE drives, but
the working principles of how the drives store bad sector replacement
tables should be similar to SCSI.  (The drives in question were an old
Conner CP3040, and a Seagate ST1144A.)

In case the reason for your drive breakage is a damaged detector in
the drive mechanics, rather than a broken drive PCB (which is IMHO at
least as likely), you might be unlucky nevertheless.  In my case, it's
been an electrically dead PCB (burnt power supply), and we were indeed
able to successfully read the contents of the ST1144A.

--
cheers, J"org