Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:43:50 +0200
From:      Gil Perez <gperez@easynet.fr>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X FreeBSD configuration

Hi,

I purchased the FreeBSD 2.2.2 Walnut Creek CDROM.

I have a problem to configure X with FreeBSD.

When i installed X (with Linux disk) on my computer, i had no
problem, i did like that :

I installed the XF86_Mach86 accelerator on the directory /usr/X11/bin/
then pick the monitor generic multiscan. Choose no ramdac,
no clockchip, and skip the probe. Then i choose 16-bit modes 1024*768.
And every thing were ok.

I could not installed succesfully X on FreeBSD. At least for two
reasons :

The mouse device. I have a PS/2 mouse. I shoul enable the psm0
in the kernel configuration menu. I tried to rebuild the kernel
but i have still the message "psm0 : disabled , not probed
when i boot.

When i try to run "startx", i have a message like that :
"ELF binary, type not known, xinit : server error.

Could you find the kindness to help me in my installation of X ?

Sincerely,

Gil PEREZ.