Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:39:25 -0700
From:      "Todd \"Taco\" Hansen" <taco@mad.scientist.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

I am more of a programmer than anything else, but occasionally I have to
do system admin stuff on various FreeBSd boxes. Even some that I have
never seen before. I find the disabled, not probed messages very useful.
They are usually not very long and it makes it very convienent to be
looking for a problem and to just view dmesg and look to make sure the
device was detected. If it says disabled, not probed, then you know
quick and easy what is up. The whole reason for showing all of the boot
information is to allow an experienced user to see what is wrong. For a
new user they just look for a login prompt anyway. This output is very
useful. If windows 95 freezes up on boot, you don't always know exactly
where it froze. As with FreeBSd you can usually tell what device it was
working on (if you know the boot order). I don't know, I find it a great
convience and I think it should be kept until there is another method by
which the kernel is configured. After all, what can extra verbosity
hurt? (perhaps I shouldn't ask that). Anyway, that is my 2 cents.
	-taco
--
Todd Hansen, KD6YPS (Taco)
taco@mad.scientist.com

"Whenever any form of government becomes destructive...it is the right
of the people to alter or to abolish it"  - Declaration Of Independence