Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:39:11 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 available

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 05:47 pm, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 08:09:50PM -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> > Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > >Whoa ... ok, so:
> > >
> > >ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/* | grep libm.so.2
> > >
> > >alone shows that quite a lot on my box is going to need rebuilding
> > > ... I
> >
> > I would suspect that any port which performs any significant
> > functions, especially graphical functions, will need to be
> > rebuilt.  It would be safer to just do what you suggested
> > and `portupgrade -af`.
> >
> > As for libmap.conf, the format is basically:
> >
> > oldlib   newlib
> >
> > so there would be a single like that looks like this:
> >
> > libm.so.2  libm.so.3

Thank you, by the way. It's obviously very simple, but for some reason I
couldn't quite understand what was going on with the examples provided
in the man page.

> > However, I initially thought this wouldn't work.  I thought
> > it only worked if the interfaces for the two libraries were
> > identical -- but if the interfaces were identical, why the
> > need for a library version bump?  But several people have
> > suggested it so I guess it couldn't hurt.
>
> The interfaces are not identical between 4.x and 5.x, but these
> libraries previously had the same version.

OK, so am I to understand that the ports which depend on these libraries
need to be rebuilt, and that libmap.conf should also map the old
versions to the new ones? Or does mapping the libraries provide a
temporary band-aid, allowing those programs to run prior to rebuilding,
and once they're rebuilt the mapping can be removed?

- jt