Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:46:00 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Jamie Bowden said on Oct 10, 2001 at 09:39:25:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
> :
> :>*Only* free software (and ordinary users, who don't
> :>have a voice in these things) would suffer from it.
> :
> :Not so. Do you have any idea how many products IBM has?
> :What about the approximately one zillion products that
> :contain embedded systems?
>
> Got to side with Brett on this.  I seriously doubt Chrysler, Ford, GM, or
> any other car manufacturer is about to start paying fees and royalties for
> shipping electronic ignition systems, traction control systems, antilock
> braking systems, etc, which are all covered under this abomination as
> written.

Well yes I guess that's true.  But what's to stop them watering it
down so that only computers and operating systems need comply, with
some suitable definition of "computer" and "operating system"?  The
way I see it, this could even be a ploy: they introduce this hugely
broad bill which covers everything that has a microprocessor, there's
an outcry, then they say "ok, how about just computers then", and the
big boys agree and they're all happy.  It won't cost IBM / Microsoft
much to patch their OS's; IBM can even continue shipping linux
pre-loaded if it wants to.  I don't see why they won't agree: the same
big boys have been backing CPRM and the DMCA itself.