Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:36:38 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john@nlc.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache13-ssl failing?

apache+mod_ssl-1.3.9+2.4.9 builds fine with the new GCC.
It is also config file compatible (or mostly so) with
ApacheSSL. It's worth a shot if the other one has
remained broken for so long.

Having spent some time with both SSL offerings, I would
reccomend mod_ssl over ApacheSSL any day. For the SSL
novice I would say mod_ssl is an absolute must, no choice
involved, due to the supplied documentation. From a
software egineering POV it integrates in a nicer fashion
with Apache. It consists of a small simple patch which
provides an enhanced module API, then the SSL code sits
in a real Apache module.

"Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" wrote:

> Yes, I posted a message here a few days ago.  I had the same problem
> with 11/24's stable.  Hasn't been resolved, yet, afaik.
>
> Jon Rust wrote:
> >
> > Latest port of apache13-ssl appears to fail at compile. Anyone else?
> >
> > ===>  Configuring for apache+ssl-1.3.9+1.37
> > Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.9 Ben-SSL/1.37
> > 1.3.9
> >   + using installation path layout: GNU (config.layout)
> > Creating Makefile
> > Creating Configuration.apaci in src
> >   + enabling mod_so for DSO support
> > Creating Makefile in src
> >   + configured for FreeBSD 3.3 platform
> >   + setting C pre-processor to cc -E
> >   + checking for system header files
> >   + using custom target name: httpsd
> >   + adding selected modules
> >      o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
> >        enabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
> >      o db_auth_module uses ConfigStart/End
> >        using Berkeley-DB/1.x for mod_auth_db (-lc)
> >   + checking sizeof various data types
> >   + doing sanity check on compiler and options
> > ** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
> > ** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
> > ** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
> > ** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
> > ** will also provide a clue.
> >   Aborting!
> > ===>  Building for apache+ssl-1.3.9+1.37
> > ===> src
> > make: don't know how to make all. Stop
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.

> --
>
>   Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
>   50% Owner, Technical and Accounts
>   Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161
>
>   SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
>   #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2

      .   | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
  ,--_|\  |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
 /  Oz  \ |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
 \_,--\_/ | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
       v  | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |