Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:56:12 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), "Justen Stepka" <jstepka@webprogrammers.net>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: native jdk + fbsd dist

>  > > What is the state of getting a binary only version of the JDK for FBSD?
>  >
>  > In testing right now.
>  >
>  > > What can I do to help?
>  >
>  > Not a whole lot.  Testing is a one-person job.
>  >
>  > > What are realistic goals to make this happen?
>  >
>  > Getting the tests complete, and if there are problems, to have these
>  > problems fixed.  The latter requires the test results, which haven't
>  > been completed.
>  >
>  > Sorry, that's the best I can do as far as information goes......
>
> Can you tell us anything about the state of these test (e.g., "there
> are 678 tests and we pass 234 of them"), or maybe an ETA on a binary
> version?

Unfortunately, no.  I'm not the one doing the tests.  If that person
wants to say something, then I'll let them.  I can say that things are
looking pretty good, but to put a deadline on something that has taken
*way too long* (no fault of anyone) due to all of the issues (licensing,
access, licensing, free time, etc...), waiting a bit longer surely won't
make that much difference.

However, having been involved with this probject, I can say that *IF*
something is said, then expectations get much higher, and if they are
not met people get upset.  So, if the posting are made using vague
generalities, the userbase can't be disappointed, since there are no
expectations.  Everything that gets done is a huge suprise that makes
everyone happy, both developers and users. :) :) :) :)

Nate

ps. In case it wasn't obvious, the above was a tiny bit of seriousness
wrapped up with a lot of sarcasm with the intent of being humerous.