Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:15:31 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Alex Hollerith" <alex@hollerith.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting from cd-rom

> From: "Alex Hollerith" <alex@hollerith.net>
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:51:04 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> hi,
>
> i'm trying to boot and install freebsd 4.7 from cd-rom on my laptop.
> the loader stops with "can't work out...".
>
> is there a way (e.g. by setting loader parameters) to get things
> going or should i just give up?

You did not give us much to go on. Model of laptop and details on the
full message would help a bit.

If the laptop has a floppy, you might want to try booting that way and
seeing if the kernel on the floppy can talk to the CD. If so, you can
just tell it to install from the CD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)