Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:50:55 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        "Robert D. Hughes" <rob@robhughes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: hang at boot

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Robert D. Hughes wrote:

RDH> Well, its really a little more complicated than that, as I always add
RDH> the local machine to etc/hosts, and on clients and servers I add
RDH> applicable systems like file servers, etc, though I generally try to
RDH> separate functions to avoid such dependencies. I also have root's email
RDH> aliased to root@domain.com as I have several boxes that I get reports
RDH> emailed from, and I don't want to spend my days logging into each one to
RDH> see if there's any email I need to worry about.

Hmm, well... I've got a little of ideas right now -- at least hack a bit
gethostbyname() in /usr/src/lib/libc/net/gethostnamadr.c to syslog() every
request (well, it at least seems that syslogd starts earlier than vi
recovering process ;-) and then analyze the logs...

[Yes, I understand clearly that this would be kinda Nuclear Weapon for
this problem, but I'm already a little beery this evening ;-)]

[snip problem description]

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]