Date:      	Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:09:13 +0200
From:      Frank Ederveen <frank@our.domaintje.com>
To:        dg@root.com, Frank Ederveen <frank@our.domaintje.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-pager: I/O error, could this really be hardware failure?

Hello David and others,

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 12:05:55AM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
> >The machine is a Ppro-200, 256Mbyte running 2.2.6-stable, March 31st.
> >Should I replace the memory?
>
>    No, but you might take a close look at the disk drive.

Hmm.. It might be time to run CAM on it then; 3940-UW with
Seagate drives (barracuda and cheetah). I never found any
scsi-errors or retries in any of the logs. Next time I'm
near it I'll give it a verify from the adaptec bios.

*ponder* If I do a verify from FreeBSD, with the scsi-command,
what happens if it finds an error? Report it, ask me what to do
or just map it out?

Swap is on sd0:
# scsi -f /dev/rsd0 -m 1
AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
TB (Transfer Block):  0
RC (Read Continuous):  0
EER (Enable Early Recovery):  1
PER (Post Error):  0
DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  0
DCR (Disable Correction):  0
Read Retry Count:  82
Correction Span:  104
Head Offset Count:  0
Data Strobe Offset Count:  0
Write Retry Count:  46
Recovery Time Limit:  65535

These values are the same for all 7 drives...

FrankE