Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@thirdwave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad Block - What To Do?

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Jamie Lawrence wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> True to form, I seem to be having problems just when my server
> is going under a heavy load.
>
> abu: {68} ./test.pl
> free(69408) bad block. (memtop = 7e800 membot = 527d0)
> ./test.cgi: Bad file descriptor.

This isn't a disk error, it's an error from the free() system call.
Somehow the pointer to the memory block is being corrupted.

A reboot might be in order.

> I'm not entirely sure what this is telling me - more accesses
> the file just fine:
>
> abu: {69} more test.pm
> #!usr/bin/perl

First, if this is test.pm, what is test.pl?  And you need an absolute path
on that first line:

#!/usr/bin/perl

> I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.7.
>
> I guess I'm asking what to do about this - I'm assuming I need
> to reformat the drive, but praying I don't. Any hints?

It's not a disk problem.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo