Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:03:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports 'make install' and mtree

 * You were right, it doesn't by default :-).  It only uses it if MAKE_LOCAL
 * is defined, and it does it last in that case.  I was looking at `make
 * distribution'.  Anyway, `make hierarchy' sets the ownership of /usr/local
 * to bin:bin.

I thought MAKE_LOCAL has been deprecated (1.126 of src/Makefile).
Jordan, do you mind if I remove it from src/etc/Makefile too?

 * Make all mount points and root directories owned by root:wheel.

What does that translate into in mtree-speak? ;)  I don't think there
is any guarantee that /usr/local is a mount point.

 * This is just broken.  Installing packages shouldn't touch anything not
 * directly used by the packages.

But this is the only way we can set the permissions of subdirectories
correctly.  If someone has a better idea, I'm all ears. :)

Satoshi