Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:55:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

Wes Peters wrote:

> Drew Baxter wrote:
> >
> > Alright, first off, no I meant IE. IE is available for (as you pointed out)
> > HP/UX and Solaris.  My question is *why* HP/UX and Solaris?  Why is it that
>
> Because that's where they can make money?  Microsoft is looking to invade
> the CORPORATE desktop, and this includes people with Sun and HP workstations
> on their desk, and people with Sun and HP servers in the datacenter and an
> X terminal on their desk.

Actually, so they can get a corporate deal for IE as the official corporate
browser of the XYZ corporation and bundle it with an NT and 95 rollout
and site license.  (And maybe an Exchange or Back Office server deal...)

> > Netscapes Servers (I invite you to find me a version of Enterprise Server,
> > Directory Server 3.5+, Messaging Server 3.5+, that'll work on FreeBSD) are
> > only for Solaris, sometimes DEC Unix, and HP/UX.. I've seen some cases of
> > Netscape only releasing something for DEC UNIX and/or Solaris, and everyone
> > else is stuck a version back.
>
> Usually, it's Solaris, then HP/UX, then DEC, IRIX, and AIX in any order,
> because that's where the installed base is, and where the sales are going.

Yup, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, DEC Unix and IRIX in that order.  I still
see SunOS up there with DEC Unix and IRIX in a lot of places.
Solaris, HP/UX, AIX seem to be the big three in the commercial
sector with DEC and SGI following behind.

At Lucent we've got a lot of Solaris and SunOS, some HP/UX.
Bell Labs Research was using IRIX.  (Interestingly, there's actually some
FreeBSD used up there because they're looking for NON-GPL'd stuff to play
with).
8-)

At IBM there was a fair Linux following in addition to AIX
(no FreeBSD because they're still heavily Token Ring in the field and
office environments).  I ran Linux on a Compaq 486 consumer Presario
box 8-) inside IBM.  I was hoping to see FreeBSD Token Ring support, but
the job didn't last that long. (management shuffle)

> Wes Peters                                                   +1.801.915.2061
> Softweyr LLC                                                 wes@softweyr.com

Bill