Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:53:20 -0400
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 route mutex recursion (crash) and fix

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 11:43:17AM +0900, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
> At Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:09:57 -0400,
> Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> >
> > I've already made noise about this before, so I'll be brief.  I plan on
> > committing the following fix that prevents the routing code from being
> > recursed upon such that RTM_RESOLVE causes the embryonic new route to
> > be looked up again.  I realize that probably no one will bother trying
> > to see this bug in action, but all you need to do is send some UDP6 to
> > ff02::1%<if> as a user, with INVARIANTS turned on.
> >
> > Are there any objections?  It would be nice to have this in 5-STABLE,
> > in case anyone actually wants to have IPv6.
>
> Unless I am missing something (I have not applied the patch) it's not
> doing anything.  What does the new code actually do?
>
> I'll try to try this patch out later.

Sorry, I should have provided a higher number of lines of context.
It prevents a call to nd6_lookup() and reentry into the route table
when entered via RTM_RESOLVE.  I.e. nd6_rtrequest(), nd6_is_addr_neighbor(),
nd6_lookup().

I appreciate you looking at it; I've had the problem for a year and no one
bothered to really look at it.

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \