Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:57:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Mark Crispin wrote:

> Let's start with the easy part: the permissions (drwxr-xr-x or 0755) on
> /var/mail are wrong.  They should be (drwxrwxrwt or 01777); in other words,
> "world write" with the "sticky bit".  0755 has always been wrong.

	The only one I didn't think of trying :(

> First, I don't understand why you say you are getting it "again".
>
> This error may be new to you if you were previously running imap-3.6, but it
> wouldn't happen "again".  If it happens, it will always happen until you fix
> the permissions on /var/mail, and it will not happen "again" unless you break
> the permissions again.
>
> Does this make sense to you?  There's only a few possibilities:
> 	1) the permissions on /var/mail were changed back to 0755 without your
> 	    knowledge.
> 	2) you haven't run imap-4 before, or were not running it without
> 	    getting the message.
> 	3) somebody modified your copy of the imap-4 source code without your
> 	    knowledge to disable the message.
> 	4) something else is happening that you don't know about.

	Non of the above...I ran 'make hierarchy' when I upgrade my FreeBS
Mail server...they seem to believe that /var/mail shoudl be 755, it seems...
CC'ng this to the FreeBSD Mailing list...

> imapd.  What is the EXACT error message?
>
> It should be:
> 	Error creating %s: %s
> with the first %s substituted with a file name and the second %s substituted
> with an operating system error string.  That message has everything that you
> need to know.
>
> For example, if you get:
> 	Error creating /var/mail/foo.lock: Permission denied
> then you need to discern why the user (probably "foo") gets a "Permission
> denied" from the OS when he tries to create the file "/var/mail/foo.lock".

	Yes, sorry...I didnt' have a copy of the error message in front of
me when I sent the email...it was meant as an approximation (a bad one it
seems)...but it was good enough that you were able to give me the answer
I required

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org