Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 07:47:20 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building a better world

>The header files should be used from the uninstalled locations in the
>source tree instead of the installed locations.
>
>The use of the RPC headers needs to depend on the generated header files
>in an "obj" directory that is also not installed.  The problem here is
>defining global rules causing the creation of missing files (ie: .h
>targets as opposed to sources).

Cannot we treat ALL the source files as coming from the obj tree?
The rule to create a normal header or source is to generate a symbolic link
from the reference source tree (IOW "install" the source file in the active
(not the system's) tree). The rule to generate rpc headers uses rpcgen to
create them, etc.

>I think there is a need for an incremental build.  For instance, I want
>to rebuild and install the world from sources on a read-only/remote/CDROM
>volume, but I don't have enough space for a full obj tree.

I see no problem splitting the "world" into "continents".(kernel,
libraries, core, compilers, games, etc.)

Could we not "prebuild" the objects as links to the CDROM?

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net