Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:02:51 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna@mucow.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A FreeBSD Ike?  (racoon or isakmpd?)

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> I am curious what success, if any, people have had using and
> implementing racoon under FreeBSD 4.0.  My ports tree refuses to
> build racoon, signalling it as "broken."  Has this been fixed, or am
> I missing something?
>
> Has anyone had success porting isakmpd to any version of FreeBSD?
>
> P.S.: My apologies for posting the preceding twice.  I originally
> mistakenly posted it with a different title.

Hmm, here's something interesting in the RELNOTES of 4.1-RELEASE:

1.1. KERNEL CHANGES
-------------------

FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE contains updated code from the KAME project
(http://www.kame.net) including the following features:

* Significantly improved IPSEC functionality.  In particular, IPSEC
  security associations must no longer be manually keyed: the new code
  supports racoon, the KAME IKE daemon, which is located in
  /usr/ports/security/racoon.  Racoon has been shown to interoperate
  well with other vendor IKE systems, meaning that FreeBSD 4.1 can be
  used in a heterogeneous IPSEC environment.  However, racoon *is*
  still a work in progress, meaning that there may still be bugs,
  configuration syntax changes, etc.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org