Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:52:49 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPECweb96 challenge

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I'm willing to scrape together the $800 somehow if we REALLY think
> it's worth anything, but from my first reading of this event it looks
> more like a very poorly disguised revenue generation mechanism for the
> extremely gullible ("You may have already won a prize!  Simply send us
> $50 in an envelope as a ``processing fee'' and we'll let you know if
> you're our grand prize winner!").  Is this really on the level or is
> it just another net.scam?

SPEC is a commercially-funded consortium, yes, but it is very prominent
(at least in system benching) and well-reported. It is also supposed to
be vendor neutral. They have been benchmarking for about 5 years now, as
I remember.

Also, Jordan, I meant what I said about cash contributions. I think it's
great that CDROM.com does what they do for us, and that's a lot, but one
way to build loyalty is to put a reasonable request to 'put $$$ where
your mouth is'. It works.