Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:51:45 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel allocation API

* Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca> [030207 20:38] wrote:
> Apparently, On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:16:59PM -0800,
> 	Alfred Perlstein said words to the effect of;
>
> > Doh, I guess I should be paying more attention, sorry for that.
> >
> > What advantage do you get from using direct mapped pages?  Why not
> > alias/map them into kmem map?  I know you'd pay a penalty for the
> > vm overhead, but you'd gain back the fixed array trick.  I'm probably
> > missing something?
>
> It lets you use the largest page size supported by the tlb (256 megs for
> ia64 (!)), and it doesn't take a tlb shootdown to add or remove a mapping
> because they never change.

That makes sense, at first the idea of requiring free to take a size
really seemed to suck, but it would be optional right?  Other
sections can still use jeff's lookup method when free is not passed
a size right?

This is somewhat premature as we should probably just convert over
most of the fixed sized structures to use zones/slabs, but offering
the "optimized" free sounds nice.  If you guys have the time, go for
it. :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]