Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:43:29 -0800
From:      Michael Barrett <mike@daboyz.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aterm, screen, and backspace

Ok, please ignore my question.  I'm still not 100% sure what happened, but
somehow a version of aterm was left in /usr/local/bin/aterm from when I edited
the Makefile and removed the entries for --enable-utmp and --enable-wtmp.  That
version seemed to be messing up screen, and I'm not sure why.  When I removed
that version manually and did a make deinstall and then make clean, and then
make install (inside the aterm port dir) everything seems to be working fine
again.

This brings up another question I had however:  Say I see a configuration in
a  ports Makefile that I want to change.  What is the proper way to go about
doing this?  In this example, I saw the following line in
/usr/ports/x11/aterm/

CONFIGURE_ARGS+= \
                --enable-transparency --enable-background-image \
                --disable-delete-key --disable-backspace-key \
                --enable-fading --enable-utmp --enable-wtmp

I wanted to get rid of the utmp and wtmp features, so I erased that line as well
as the preceeding \.  I had tried using: make install
CONFIGURE_ARGS=<args I wanted>, but the others seemed to be added no matter
what (I believe due to the fact that in the makefile it's using += rather than
just =).

Anyways, what would be the best way of going about this?  Thanks again for all
your help.