Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:02:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, patrick@netzuno.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (more info)

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

    > it looks like it essentially reverts to the old (1.75) behaviour,
    > . . .  when bridging is compiled in (and now, when bridging is
    > enabled), arp requests do not consider the interface from which
    > the request came from. . . .  there are some cases where you are
    > doing bridging separately on clusters of interfaces, . . .

In my case, I want to maintain two distinct clusters on my bridge --
one cluster with publicly accessible IP addresses (part of the Internet
at large), and another cluster with private IP addresses (for a local
network that is allowed to access the Internet only through proxies).

If I implement Julian's mod in my bridge, am I going to run into
problems with misdirected ARP packets?  Or should I be safe because
my two clusters are dealing with completely separate groups of IP
addresses (one external, the other internal)?

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/