Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:22:36 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Robert Nesius <nesius@europa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mouse

--==_Exmh_-267594456P

I'll take a stab at this since I've been troubleshooting some related problems
recently.  Warning:  I probably know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to
be authoritative.

> Details:
> P133 with DB9 serial port interface for mouse.
> The mouse: Logitech 3-button mouse with ps/2 bus connector attached
>            to the DB9 port using an adapter.
> The OS: FreeBSD 2.2.6.
>
> Problem - mouse not recognized by X server.  Can't get cursor to move
>           during XF86Setup.

Up until recently I'd been running something similar...a Logitech three-button
trackball attached to a PS/2-to-DB9 connected going into COM1 (a.k.a.
/dev/cuaa0), under FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE running on a machine with an Intel
Zappa motherboard.  moused works as expected, and XFree86 3.3.2.3 can use
moused for getting mouse data.

(I need to go back and physically examine the trackball to tell you what the
exact model is, probably in about 12 hours.)

> I would like to use moused.  I've configured moused to point at
> /dev/cuaa0, and have linked /dev/mouse to /dev/sysmouse.  I've
> specified the moused_protocol in rc.conf to be many things,
> including ps/2, logitech, busmouse, mouseman, etc...  With
> ps/2 as the protocol, moused complains about a "-t" option.

And how exactly does it complain?  I used "-t auto" (see below) to let moused
try to figure out what the mouse is via PnP.

> I have specified NO options in the rc.conf file in the moused
> options area.  I /have/ insured that ps2 driver support has been
> built into the kernel.

Here are my moused-related options from /etc/rc.conf:

moused_enable="YES"     # Run the mouse daemon.
moused_type="auto"      # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available settings.
moused_port="/dev/cuaa0" # Set to your mouse port.
moused_flags=""         # Any additional flags to moused.

You don't need the psm driver, as you're accessing the mouse via a serial
port.  On the other hand, it can't hurt.

[deletia]

> In XF86Setup, I have tried to specify the protocol as just about
> every possibility available, with the device either being /dev/cuaa0
> (probably not the right thing to do with moused running), or as
> /dev/mouse.  Also, I've tried several combinations of options without
> moused.  For some reason, I just can't get the cursor to move
> after hitting the "Apply" button.

My gut feeling is that the problem lies before this point...for something
easier to test, see if "vidcontrol -m on" will give you a text-mode mouse
cursor.

> At this point I'm wondering if:
> a) Anyone else has tried to get a logitech mouse with a DB9 adapter running
>    under this version of 2.2.6.

I'm not sure if we're running similar hardware (e.g. Logitech models).  But
everything else sounds the same, and according to the CVS tree, moused.c has
not changed between 2.2.6-RELEASE and 2.2.7-RELEASE.

> b) If anyone knows if the adapter is forcing the logitech mouse to look like
>    an ordinary serial mouse, or a real ps/2 mouse, or logitech mouse, or
>    what?

The mouse looks like a serial mouse from the standpoint of which device driver
is used to communicate with the mouse.  moused thinks (correctly) that it's a
Mouseman-type mouse (see below).

> c) How can I confirm that moused really found a device to talk to?
> d) How can I confirm that cuaa0 is really the device to point moused at?

Try...

/usr/sbin/moused -i all -t auto -p /dev/cuaa0

...which should tell you something about the mouse.  On my system, I get

/dev/cuaa0 serial mouseman generic

What do you get for this?

Good luck!

Bruce.

PS.  By any chance is there a switchbox between the FreeBSD box and the mouse?
 I'm having some odd problems in which moused's PnP detection fails in this
configuration, which I've partially solved by merging in some of the moused
code from -CURRENT.

--==_Exmh_-267594456P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNjiWTKjOOi0j7CY9AQHbkAP6AoQktDmUNnhJUTFe+Br5iMXcpODYqO0u
6kIylItcSZv4CHm2zubAxln1barUSwSZXTojtBY0djvDgkTx6GP7jXhtwpmAcwC5
Eta2n41WFSLcbpXO2B/3n16t7QHLTutVpdSgGPgExKOfeeNMqx6MMaGjksZe9Xwa
8eWVuLHgiZs=
=GcWC
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-267594456P--