Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:43:16 -0600
From:      Mauricio Marquez <mmarquez@enlace.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fsck: problem with disk

all of a suddent my FreeBSD 3.0 computer started marking disk errors. I
rebooted and of course now it doesn't work in multi-user mode.

when running FSCK I get the following:

wd0s1f: hard error reading fsbn 2293831 of 2293824-2293935 (wd0s1 bn
2488183; cn 308 tn 70 sn 61) (status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,error> error
40<uncorr>)

CANNOT READ: BLK 2293824
CONTINUE?

when I agree to continue it marks two more errors and asks me to run fsck
again, which I've done repeatedly of course.

what ideas can you give me? is it time to format or change the hard disk or
is it fixable?

thanks,

mm