Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 03:29:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports README changes committed (Proposal 6)

(Note crosspost - discussion followups to "ports" only please.)

I just committed changes necessary to generate ports' README.html
files automatically.  You will need the latest version of

ports/Makefile
ports/templates/*
ports/pkg/*              (well not really necessary)
share/mk/bsd.port[.subdir].mk

This will essentially add two targets, "readme" and "readmes" to port
directories.  "make readme" will create a README.html from the
templates in the current directory; "make readmes" will also descend
into the subdirectories.  Thus,

cd /usr/ports; make readmes

(separated for your triple-clicking pleasure) will walk through the
whole ports tree and generate a bunch of README.htmls linked together
with hypertext links.

For all this to look great, we will need pkg/COMMENT and pkg/DESCR for
every subdirectory, as well as a (much) better /usr/ports/pkg/DESCR.
I'll work on that later this week.  But at least you'll have something
to look on.

I tried to make the individual ports' README.htmls as plaintext as
possible, so I'd like to request the html-illiterate out there to take
a look at them and see if they are readable enough.  (Sadly, I don't
qualify anymore, as I can sort of read through markup tags to see how
it's gonna look like on the browser....)

Eventually, I will commit all the README.htmls (if it's not there
right after installation, it kinda defeats the purpose of being the
guide to newbies, right?), but it will be a while until then, 'cause
any change in the templates will cause 400+ files to be changed.  So,
for now, I'd like people to try it on their own system and give us
feedback.

Thanks!!!

Satoshi and the quiet ports team