Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:02:44 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Cody Swanson <cswanson@pei.eastlink.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with natd

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 05:08:03PM -0500, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> One thing to try is to invert the functions of vr0 and xl0.
>
> Another Good Thing To Try is to read man pages and source code on the
> devices you are using. This is found in /usr/src/sys/pci/if_vr.c:
>
>  *
>  * The Rhine has a serious flaw in its transmit DMA mechanism:
>  * transmit buffers must be longword aligned. Unfortunately,
>  * FreeBSD doesn't guarantee that mbufs will be filled in starting
>  * at longword boundaries, so we have to do a buffer copy before
>  * transmission.
>  */
>
> Am suggesting replacing the vr0 with something else such as another
> 3c905. I use a pair of Intel 10/100's in my PIII-500 box and would have
> to measure carefully to detect any thruput blockage.
>
> My guess as to what is happening is the additional copy required by the
> vr0 interrupts the rhythm between your inside client and the outside
> cable system so that data doesn't stream at full rate when passing thru
> but is OK when it stops at the FreeBSD firewall/router/gateway.
>
> In a PII-300 system I use an onboard 3c905 and an Intel 10/100. IPFW,
> NATD, DIVERT, essentially the same as you but only 64MB, and once again
> the restriction is too small to notice without careful measurement. It
> too is connected to a cable modem but throttled at 500kbits/sec.
>
> I have a spare PII but have not bothered to benchmark it ethernet to
> ethernet.

All that said, even old (16bit)NE2000 clone will easily sustain
800+kB/s on my old 133Mhz Pentium with CPU load 20% or so. 400kB/s
versus 100kB/s throughput difference in this particular case isn't
matter of 3Com vs. Via NIC, I guess. I'll suggest trying out
IPFilter (ipf) and let us know of the results.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee