Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 10:28:09 -0400
From:      Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Senator Santorum

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 02:18 PM, Narvi wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Pete Ehlke wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:23:42AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>>>
>>> "And if the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual
>>> sex
>>> within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the
>>> right to
>>> polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to
>>> adultery.
>>> You have the right to anything."
>>>
>>> You can find more context here:
>>> http://www.ncsfreedom.org/news/bigotedsen.htm
>>>
>>> The annoying thing about what he said from the standpoint of the gay
>>> rights folks is that he's right. It really is a slippery legal slope.
>>
>> I know I'm going to regret this, but...
>>
>> Please explain the slippery slope that lies between consensual sex
>> among
>> adults who are not married to one another and bigamy and polygamy,
>> which are marriage to multiple partners. I really, really don't follow
>> that one at all.
>>

> This would mean you first have to explain why bi- or polygamy are
> or should be illegal. Its even trickier in the US, where 'unmarried
> cohabitation' is still a crime in many states...

Well it comes down to, i think, legal and economic issues.  From a
taxation issue i can see it, imagine a guy claiming 3 wives and 2 kids
from each as exemptions.  Or dealing with the implications of the whole
family breaking up from a legal, economic and social standpoint.  I for
one would not want to be married to more than one woman, I don't think
I would survive it ;).

Also there was the fact that a woman could not have multiple husbands,
so I guess it becomes an equality issue as well?

--Larry