Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 07:10:00 +0800
From:      Feisal Umar <afu@webcraft99.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re-Booting new -STABLE Kernel: Failure To Mount Root .. even GENERIC

Until recently, I have no problems in compiling the kernel and userland
tools of my DNS host running predominatly named and sshd (openssh)

A few days ago, I cvsup'd to the latest source trees and issued the routine
make buildworld, make buildkernel KERNEL=<KERNEL> and make installkernel
KERNEL=<KERNEL> without encountering any problems. Rebooting to the new
kernel, however, resulted in an error Failed To Mount Root: ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
(or along that lines). Multiple tries still resulted in the same error.  I
had to manually re-boot the host using a previous kernel.

Building the kernel using GENERIC resulted in the same errors.  And for a
couple of days now I have cvsup'd the latest sources again, even to the
point removing /usr/src/* and /usr/obj/* and at each try, the new kernel
fails to reboot with the same failure.

For one, this is an isolated case, 'coz another host I maintain have no
such problem compiling STABLE-4.2-BETA for days now (as a baseline for my
production machines).

I am at lost here. Appreciate any advices or thoughts on how to resolve the
matter.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The host was originally a STABLE-3.5, upgraded to STABLE-4.0, and
undergone multiple kernel builds before.  Last successful kernel build is
STABLE-4.1.1 Friday Oct 20.

--

Feisal Umar
Webcraft Sdn Bhd - http://www.webcraft99.com