Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:48:48 -0700
From:      joe@vpop.net (Joe McDonald)
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redunancy without RAID

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.  It looks like the best =
route to
go is to get a case with "hotswapable" drive enclosure support.  So we're
gonna get a kingston unit and test away!

Thanks again,
-joe

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:15:06 +0100, Stuart Henderson =
<stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
wrote:

>> If you can power it off you should be fine.  If you pull the cable
>> you conceivable could kill your array
>
>Seems to fit with how our 'proper' hotswap drives work, they
>do let you pull the drive from the cage but have two rows of pins,
>one row gets connected/disconnected before the other. A poweroff
>is a lot more 'normal' situation.
>
>> and have to backup from tape.
>
>Good point to make assuming this is a live system with important
>data :-))) Joe make sure you have a tape or copy on another system=20
>before you try this <grin>

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

--=20
NewsHub:      http://www.NewsHub.com/tech/  |
MultiTrace:   http://www.MultiTrace.com/    |  Explore Your Net!
DomainSurfer: http://www.DomainSurfer.com/  |