Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:06:48 -0300
From:      "Rafael Aquino" <freebsd@bsdserver.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Run existing FreeBSD installation inside jail

Hi there...

I developed a step-by-step guite to remotely upgrade a 4.x to 6.x,
with the only inconveniece of keep using UFS1. That's because I'm
responsible for about 70 servers without video and keyboard in
diference places around the town.

As long as all the servers have a installation pattern and run
the same services, and the customization is made remotely and automatically,
I installed a brand new 6.1 in a new HD, customized everything NOT MACHINE
DEPENDENT, and made a root.tar.gz, usr.tar.gz and var.tar.gz.

It's not a state-of-art, because I'm installing it all untarging it...
But as long as I don't need to visit 70 building (in places like the attic,
under some water reservatory), it worked very well for me.

If you are interested on giving it a try (I made about 20 of those in
laboratory before start to do it on production servers) I can send
my annotations.

One of the best advantages is that it only requires two reboots,
keeping a very low downtime, and all of your configuration files are still
there after the final rebooting, in case you forget something. And it
only requires some space on the /, /var and /usr partitions...

Best regards!

--
Rafael Mentz Aquino
BSDServer Ltda.