Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 17:55:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, davidg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: Lost routes!?

On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, Garrett A. Wollman wrote:

> >  I tried pinging his endpoint address '199.84.157.21',
> > and got no response.  He indicated that his modem's lights were not
> > flashing.
>
> This has all the classic symptoms of route clash.  I believe this
> problem to have been fixed in the -current; you can work around it in
> the meantime by doing a forcible `route delete -host xx.yy.zz.aa', but
> if your machine is busily trying to send IP to the other end when you
> do this, then the route will get recreated almost immediately.

First off, thanks very much for the prompt reply!

I wonder if I were to add the `route delete -host xx.yy.zz.aa' to the slip
shutdown script when a caller hangs up would help things?

> If you look at -current in net/route.c:rtrequest(), there is some code
> (and a big comment) below the `makeroute' label which attempts to
> handle this case.  It should patch cleanly into your system.

Hmm, the route.c in 2.1.0-950726-SNAP which is what I'm already running, and
the 2.1.0-951020-SNAP that I just grabbed both have the following
headers, leading me to believe there are no changes between the two.

 *      @(#)route.c     8.2 (Berkeley) 11/15/93
 *      $Id: route.c,v 1.23.4.1 1995/07/23 04:55:01 davidg Exp $

I guess that means it may not be fixed yet!

I'll try the netstat -ran next time it acts up to see what information if
any it returns.

What else could I do to try and locate where the problem is coming from?

Thanks!

Andrew Webster  - captain@pubnix.net - http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-990-5911   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3