Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:13:42 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Casey Scott <casey@phantombsd.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_info question

Casey Scott wrote:

> Sorry, I meant I need to know what package a file belongs to that does not
> exist in the file system already. I need to know where to get something,
> not where it came from.

My CVSup script executes

   find /usr/ports -name "pkg-plist*" > /path/to/somewhere

after an update of the ports directory. Thus I can search a file with

   cat /path/to/somewhere | xargs grep 'pattern'

This method is quick and dirty and does not cover all ports because some
of them have no pkg-plist file in their directory. Those ports use the
PLIST_FILES variable in their Makefile instead or generate a plist file
dynamically.

Björn