Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:54:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Matt Midboe <matt@mail.snsnet.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel panic on AMD w/high cpu utilization

I have an Asus P55T2P4 with an AMD K5-133 in it running FreeBSD 3.0. It
works perfect for everything except tasks like setiathome,
distributed.net and other computational programs. I even setup a sample
Java servlet that computes primes over 1 quadrillion and it did the same
thing the setiathome and distributed.net clients did. It kernel panics
and reboots. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to how long
the program will run before it kills the machine. It will typically
crash within 10 minutes. I'm not overclocking or doing anything exotic
BIOS settings or jumpers.

Is there something I can do to get more detailed information about death
of the machine? What could it be doing that would actually kill the
kernel?

On a slightly related note I have a Windows 98 box with an AMD K6-333 on
an Asus P5A with nothing fancy BIOS or jumper wise that has some similar
problems with the same programs. It's nowhere near as graceful dealing
with them though.

Matt
matt@snsnet.net