Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 21:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        paul@netcraft.co.uk
Cc:        Paul Reece <paul@trumpet.net.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5R hanging inexplicably...

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Paul Richards wrote:

> > On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > > 	For the second time in two days, my system just hung, in that,
> > > essentially, no keyboard input was being permitted.
> > >

> Which version are you running?

	2.0.5R

> I had this happen a lot with 2.0.5 since it didn't handle keyboard
> disconnection and unplugging and putting the keyboard back made it
> dissappear. I also had it happen "randomly"  quite frequently but
> I put that down to the some quirk triggering the same problem.

	Hrm...one way to reproduce the bug seems to be to exit from
screen...not sure if that is related or not though.  What happens is
that when I exit from screen, usually my NumLock will light up on the
keyboard, and that is end of story until I hit the reset button

> When I upgraded to stable the problem went away BUT I did have it happen
> to me once about three days ago shortly after reboot (5 mins say) just
> after upgrading to stable again. That's the only time it's happened in the
> last 6 weeks or so but there may be a problem lurking in there somewhere.
>
> This is with PCVT.

	Same here...

> I've had worse problems with syscons. There's something wrong with syscons
> vt switching, it's not completely reproducable but it happens frequently
> enough that I've now switched all our machines to pcvt. The symptom is that
> when you switch VT the screen goes completely blank and further attempts
> to switch VT just gets a beep (as though no VT was configured). Everything
> is still running (getty etc) but the screen is just totally blank. Only way
> to recover the console is to reboot.

	And someone out there was wondering why more ISPs aren't using
FreeBSD? :)  Sounds like a big problem to worry about :(

> I'd say yes, I had this keyboard  problem happen regularly with
> 2.0.5 and apart from this one lockup I had a few days ago everythings
> been fine since upgrading to 2.1-stable. I doubt the lockup I had
> a few days ago is the same problem since the old problem would
> happen every few hours, for the moment I'm putting this last lockup
> down to the phase of the moon :-)

	Ah, then hopefully when 2.1.0R comes out, I won't have this
problem again :)

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.