Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can not mount root on wd(2,a)

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Atipa wrote:

> I am using an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard (w/ 430TX chipset), with 2 hard
> drives (Quantum ST 3.2GB Ultra-DMA and Samsung 1GB cheapo). If I put the
> cheap hard drive on "Primary Salve", the performance of the UltraDMA will
> suffer. The interface needs to run in a common mode (PIO-4 since Samsung
> is not U-DMA capable), so Ultra DMA transfers would be disabled.  So, I
> have the Quantum as Primary Master and the Samsung as Secondary Master.

If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about UltraDMA; FreeBSD doesn't
support it and it will be disabled anyway.

> The kernel appropriately finds the drives as wd0 and wd2, but panics when
> it can't mount root on wd0 (as it should). Fresh install w/
> kernel.GENERIC. If I try to:
>
> 	Boot: wd(2,a)/kernel.GENERIC, it responds:
> 	Error: D: 0x82 C:0 H:0 S:0, and I need to reboot.
>
> I have also tried wd(1,a)/kernel, which surprisingly boots the
> kernel(???), but then can't mount root.
>
> Any Suggestions?

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

> PS- Where are the docs for the "Boot:" options? It says [-abcCdghrsv] are
> acceptable flags, but I can not find what many of these do. What's the man
> page or FAQ?

`man boot' has some old flags.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo