Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:49:22 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does a system suddenly start hanging ... ?

A couple of months ago, I decided to take a chance and went SATA for one
of our servers ... all others in the past have always been SCSI ... now,
all of a sudden, the SATA server is *hanging* ... using tw_cli to look at
the controller, and the drives and controller all appear to be well ...
fsck finds the file systems to be good ... but after a period of time (an
hour, maybe two) of running, the server  grinds to a halt, and I have to
get it rebooted and start all over again ...

The server is an Intel SE7520 motherboard, with a 3Ware 9500S-4LP
controller, and 3 ~126G hard drives ... operating system is RELENG_4 from
~May 22nd ...

And none of the log files that I can think to look at are reporting any
problems or errors :(

So ... what causes an SATA system to 'hang'?  If it was a SCSI system, it
feels like the same thing that woudl be attributed to a bad cable or
termination ...

----