Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 17:22:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        PATRICIA ZOUZOUNIS <pzouzounis@i-star.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Fwd: yahoo clubs for teens pornographic

Hello, Patricia.

I should take the time to point out that I am not officially affiliated with
freebsd.org in any way.  I am a participant (among a few thousand participants)
on the mailing list you sent mail to, however.  The list, in case you're
curious, is a "club," of sorts, of interested users of a particular software
package called "FreeBSD," where we gather to trade questions and answers.

I am also in no way affiliated with yahoo.com.  In fact, there is no official
affiliation at all between freebsd.org and yahoo.com.  As it happens, Yahoo
uses FreeBSD to run their systems.

While I'm sympathetic regarding your shock at discovering the range of
interests on Yahoo's sites, complaining to freebsd.org would be akin to
complaining to Pentax or Nikon about their "affiliation" with Playboy
photographers.  The FreeBSD software is an "operating system" with no
particular agenda, and it can be used in a variety of ways, some of which I'm
sure some of us would find offensive.  But I'm fairly sure that freebsd.org
does not want to be in a position of determining how people should use the
software, nor do they wish to police its use.  It should be used in any way the
user wishes it to be used, and the organization has no wish to dictate terms or
limit its users' freedom of speech in any way.

I'm sure that while some of the content you ran into is offensive, in your
opinion (and, as I said, certainly in the opinions of some of the participants
of *this* list), I must gently object to your assertion that Yahoo is "clearly
and deliberatly making this trash available to our kids."  You might as easily
say that the US Government is doing the same, or FreeBSD, or for that matter,
God (who most certainly permits this sort of thing on a regular basis, for
better or worse).  Yahoo supports all sorts of interests, and does not try to
limit the content or range of those interests except in clearly illegal cases.
Yahoo plays the role of a "common carrier," and is not responsible for any of
the specific content posted at its site.  And there are a lot of people out
there with profoundly different standards and interests than you, so running
into this sort of thing, at times, is inevitable, just as it might be at a
library or your corner store or in other real life situations.

While I understand your concern, there's nothing that leads me to believe that
complaining to Microsoft (for example) or FreeBSD or most other companies
(including major television networks, who already air some pretty interesting
stuff, and are certainly aware of some of the clubs you can find on the Net)
will sway Yahoo in this regard.  Yahoo isn't a particularly kid-oriented place,
to be honest; another site run by Yahoo might be much more kid-friendly:

	http://www.yahooligans.com/

However, it might be a little too kid-oriented for a 13-year-old.  I might
suggest instead some of the following:

	http://www.kidlink.org/
	http://www.cyberteens.com/
	http://www.gettingreal.com/
	http://www.alloy.com/
	http://www.teen-net.com/

KidLink is designed for kids from roughly 7-15; it may be a little on the
immature side.  CyberTeens allows chatting, games, and creative links.
GettingReal is for older teens, I think, but in general, it's an honest site.
Alloy.com is more of a fashion and gossip site, probably more tuned to the
female teenager.  And Teen-net is more of a teen entertainment site.

Like all responsible parents, you will probably want to look over these sites
before deciding whether you want your son exposed to them at this time.  And
ultimately, it really is up to you---neither Yahoo or FreeBSD or any other
company can be nearly as good of a parent as you can.

We can only take moral responsibility for our own lives.  You don't want
strangers on the Net teaching your kids moral responsibility, certainly; that
quite rightly should be your job, and others in coordination with you.

Best of luck to you and yours.

							---Ken