Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 23:16:25 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C905

On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 01:01:28AM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> well on the ethernet card there writes 3c905-tx
> I guess it is not 3c905b...
> also when I use the same card in a new installation session it works...
> and also the utility of the ethernet card says that it works
>
> when I try to look at man vx it says
>
> The vx driver provides support for the 3Com 3c590 and 3c595 EtherLink III
>      and Fast EtherLink III PCI Ethernet cards in 10 Mbps mode.  The
>      medium selection can be influenced by the following link flags to the
>      ifconfig(8) command:
>
> well do this means that I can't use that ethernet card at 100 Mbps?

No, but the 905 is a _very_ bad choice for 100MBit under FreeBSD.  It
gives bad performance (due to a polling driver; a new driver is
supposedly under development, but don't hold your breath), has
horrible interrupt-load, and is expensive.  My advice: Get an Intel
EtherExpress instead.

> at startup it says
>
> vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
> mii[*mii*]: disable 'auto select' with DOS util! address 00:60:08:50:ae:5e
>
> but I guess this does not mean that it is not working...

That message is bogus.  I've been planning to change it to 'autoselect
ignored!' for a long time.

> and the setup utility of the ethernet card does not let me change anything
> including the irq and the address...

It should let you change it to non-autoselect and set which port it
should run - do you really want it to run on the mii port?

Eivind.