Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:58:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Venkatesh <ashtitte@satyam.net.in>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, raj_nat@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Venkatesh wrote:

> Hi I am a software professional and would like to work on software
> projects for free. This will give me hands on experience and a chance
> to prove my capabilities to the world. Interested people get in touch
> with me at raj_nat@hotmail.com

Doesn't work that way, no one is ever going to come after you.  First,
just being a "software professional" won't help too much, unless you know
unix pretty well (Windows just isn't going to help at all).  What you want
to do is go to www.freebsd.org, and buried in there is a list of things
that folks might want to try.  Alternatively, if you don't like to try one
of the things you find, then just try out FreeBSD until you find something
you think needs improvement, and go at it.

If you're looking at doing something substantial, you might want to sound
people out on the FreeBSD-hackers list, to see if it's got some likely
chance of being accepted ... but understand one thing: you can't get any
agreement, before the software is written, that your work will be
committed.  That kind of thing ONLY comes when there's real software to
look at, and people can judge if it's a useful thing, and written to
sufficiently good standards.

Take a look at FreeBSD source code yourself, you'll see what I mean.  Oh,
one last thing, you've addressed the wrong list here, FreeBSD-doc is
dedicated to the process of building the documentation, and not technical
programming issues.  You wanted, probably, FreeBSD-hackers.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)