Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:04:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Torgeir Hoffmann" <twhoffma@student.matnat.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sasa Stupar <sasa@stupar.homelinux.net>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade 5.4 -> 6.0

Hi there!

> Can someone tell me the proper steps for upgrading from 5.4 -> 6.0?
> I have also stuff installed from the ports collection, eg. cyrus-imapd,
> clamav, etc.

First follow the handbook for rebuilding world and kernel.
The first thing you should do is "cvsup" your source. As far as I've
understood,
it's recommended to upgrade to 6.0-release first, and then to 6.0-stable
if you want that.

When you've upgraded the base and kernel, you can sync your portstree with
portsnap or cvsup, and use either portsupgrade or portmanager to upgrade
all extra packages that
you have installed. If you don't have a quick machine, you might want to
use the "package-switch" to make it check for precompiled packages before
building from source.

Relevant handbook refs. I think would be:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/portsnap.html