Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:09:07 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@rtp1.SlowBlink.Com>, freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package versionning (was: cvs commit: libh/lib/sysinstall Feature.cc)

--W5WqUoFLvi1M7tJE

On Fri Sep 27, 2002 at 12:38:14AM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake Antoine Beaupre (anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx):
>=20
> > Also, if the regular version is purely advisory, people are going to be=
=20
> > *really* confused when they'll see that
> > ls-1.1 > ls-1.2
>=20
> People also will be confused if they expect to see a package xv-3.10a
> installed, but can't find them, just because we forbid letters...
> That's what I wanted to circumvent.

I understand that. I don't think it's that much of a problem. I
usually look for "that xv package" and not "xv-3.10a".
=20
My problem is mostly that if we start by letting letters in, the
comparison gets harder to define, and becomes undeterminate. We can't
follow or generalize all package versionning in a single one, IMHO.

Then again, most package versions in the ports collection *are*
comparable.

xcdroast-0.98.a.10/
xmbmon-107p1/
xpm-3.4k/

I guess we could revert back to allowing characters in versions, it
would, however, be a PITA to implement.

A.
--=20
Stop the bombings.