Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 2015 20:10:30 +0100
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        "O'Connor, Kevin" <KevinO'Connor@merseyfire.gov.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org" <freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: After BIOS-Upgrade, I can't (UEFI-) boot anymore

<KevinO'Connor@merseyfire.gov.uk>:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =46rom the wiki
>=20
> The boot process proceeds as follows:
>=20
>    UEFI firmware runs at power up and searches for an OS loader in the =
EFI system partition. The path to the loader may be set by an EFI =
environment variable, with a default of /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.
>=20
>        For FreeBSD, boot1.efi is installed as /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.
>        boot1.efifat is an image of such a FAT filesystem for use by =
bsdinstall=20
>    boot1.efi locates the first partition with a type of freebsd-ufs, =
and from it loads loader.efi. (This may be a different disk than the one =
holding the EFI system partition.)
>    loader.efi loads and boots the kernel, as described in loader(8).
>=20
> So my best guess is that something has been changed by the upgrades =
and boot1.efi  no longer knows the correct location of  /boot/loader.efi
>=20
> You'll have to go digging in the EFI system partition to work out what =
has changed. (I assume you have done an automated install of the HP =
support DVD and upgraded the array controller and the HDD microcode =
etc.)
>=20
> Kevin
>=20

I=E2=80=99ve figured it out already (after sleeping a few hours and =
looking at it all morning.

The system contains an additional controller (H240, in JBOD mode) that =
hosts another 8 disks.
The first of these disks previously (and briefly) housed another FreeBSD =
installation, with the GPT etc. that comes with it.
Even though it was now part of a zpool, the labels etc. persisted. I had =
forgotten about this...
Upon the BIOS upgrade, the system suddenly started looking at this disk, =
too and tried to boot from it.

I had to offline the disk, remove the partitions and the GPT and online =
the disk again - and then it would boot again.