Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:05:44 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=E9bastien?= ADAM <sebastien.adam@ping.be>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: users managing

Sébastien ADAM wrote:

> Hi there !
>
> I'm new in FreeBSD and UNIX. I've installed FreeBSD 3.2 on my computer and I
> wana make some configurations. My question is simple. How can I logon as
> root? (stupid question, isn't? ;-) how can I manage the authorizations of
> users?

From the console of the machine, just login as 'root' from a telnet
prompt you will have to add a user to the wheel group, login as that
user, then su to root.  You can change the settings in /etc/ttys to log
in on remote consoles as root, but that is not recommended.  (Security
hole)

--
Eric Hodel - hodeleri@seattleu.edu - Aspiring programmer & FPS minor
demi-god.

Customers will come to our 'home page' in unbelievable numbers and find
out everything we want them to know.
	--Bill Gates